Dress Memories

As I was preparing my post for this week, I must admit to feeling a bit indifferent. I browsed the Internet searching for something-- anything-- to inspire me! Eventually, I re-read several of the posts here on Borrowed & Blue and when I happened upon Brielle's excellent write-up full of ideas on how to find a gorgeous dress for less, I began thinking back to how I found my own wedding gown and wanted to share my story with you.

I started the hunt for my dress just a few days after getting engaged. My husband (then fiancé) and I were planning on a short engagement because of an upcoming out-of-state move so I knew I had to find a wedding gown as quickly as possible. I started my search with few expectations. The sole trait I was really hoping for in a dress was a classic feel. I didn't want anything too trendy; timelessness was key to me.


A former pageant queen and frequent competitor, dress shopping was all-too-familiar to me and I knew how time consuming it could be and how frustrating it could get when you just can't seem to find the right thing. The first (and only) place I looked for a dress was at the shop of a woman who had, over many years and countless pageant gowns, become a very dear friend to me. Her shop was, sadly, going out of business and she kindly agreed to open her doors to me one last time. I tried on just three dresses, and ended up choosing the first one I put on. I often reflect back on that day spent in her shop; it was quiet, with just she, myself and my mother in her dimly-lit store. It was the final time I was able to shop there and it was such a special experience to be able to buy my wedding dress from a wonderful woman and friend. I walked away that day with much more than my dream dress.

I think that each bride has fond memories of shopping for her wedding dress with friends and loved ones. It is, undoubtedly, one of the most special parts of planning a wedding.

We would love to hear your stories of dress shopping in the comments below! I hope everyone has had a great week. I'm certainly looking forward to the weekend!

xo
Brooke

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...